Anna Maria College Mondor-Eagan Library
Paxton, MA, United States
Anna Maria College (AMC) is a four-year, private, co-ed, Catholic, liberal arts college accredited by the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. Founded by the Sisters of Saint Anne in 1946, AMC is located on a 192-acre campus in Paxton, MA, minutes from the vibrant college-town of Worcester, MA.
The Mondor-Eagen Library / Information Commons is a two-floor facility located at the center of campus between Cardinal Cushing and the Foundress Halls. Built in 1982, the library was named in honor of Sister Marie Anne Eva Mondor, the first President of the College, and Sister Marie Rose Isabel Eagen, the first Registrar.
Relying heavily on collections of print material including more than 64,000 books, the library was faced with inadequate space, thus less conducive to study and research with suitable environmental conditions for its services, personnel, resources, and collections.
For this higher education academic library renovation and collection space planning project, AMC stakeholders were searching to create a research library that would integrate technology in a flexible innovative design. As a result, for housing growing special collections and rare materials, and for meeting the increasing demand for diverse and collaborative areas across the library, AMC wanted a well-planned, secure, and adequate library space.
With this in mind, Authorized Montel Distributor Integral Storage Solutions proposed Montel’s customized compact storage systems to accommodate the library’s collections and offer more adequate collaborative space for study. Committed to design considerations for which modern academic libraries must contain flexible shelving arrangements to house growing collections of research media, Integral Storage Solutions offered a cost-effective modern-day storage system. As a result addressing the library collection space issues by optimizing the physical footprint of the original space, improving space organization, and maximizing storage capacity.
To solve the current space storage collection needs and functionality, Montel supplied and installed the following value-engineered state-of-the-art motorized & mechanical mobile storage system and product configurations:
- SafeAisle® electric carriage mounted high-density mobile storage units
- LED Guard Technology (LGT) safety system covering the whole aisle surface
- Low safety activation height system detects objects as small as 1½'' (38mm) high located anywhere in the aisle
- Electronic overload protection & fail-safe technology
- Aisle-entry people counter
- Infrared distance measuring sensors
- Control boards offering the capability to be upgraded with new generations of software
- Simple movement controls with LCD display including two arrow shaped OPEN backlit buttons, and a STOP backlit button
- PIN-Code module access control having a 32-character permanently backlit LCD display, and digits from 0 to 9
- Sealed membrane control technology ensuring maximum life duration of controls
- All movement controls and indicator lights are solid state and provide visual indication of safety module operation
- Automatic built-in battery backup ensuring motorized mobile storage system to be always operational even during power failures
- Dual access controls so the system can be accessed from either side of the aisle
- Mobilex® mechanical assist carriage mounted high-density mobile storage units
- Aetnastak cantilever fixed shelving units providing a large range of accessories and practical features
- SmartShelf 4-post shelving units offering the flexibility and adaptability to change the shelving configurations for the actual and future storage needs
- 4D wide span semi-industrial shelving units
- Powder coating finishing technology.