Collège Centennial Bibliothèque et Facilité académique
Toronto, ON, Canada
Established as Toronto's first public college in 1966, Centennial College offers programs in business, communications, community and health studies, science and engineering technology, general arts, hospitality and transportation.
As Centennial’s largest property, Progress Campus was faced with a growing student population and insufficient collection space, resulting in shrinking study space and much-needed storage space.
Thanks to a $35 million infrastructure investment by the provincial and federal governments, Centennial College moved ahead with a visionary plan to add more space at its Progress Campus to better accommodate an expanding student population.
Designed by Diamond and Schmitt Architects, the new modern Library and Academic Facility, which totals about 103,500 square feet, in addition to containing 22 classrooms, a 200-seat auditorium, learning labs, offices, and a light-filled atrium, would feature a double-height library and room space needed to house the library archives and special collections.
With plans to pursue LEED Gold certification from the start, maximizing the storage capacity for the library archives and special collections, and increasing the effectiveness of the library design to create additional space, were top of list concerns for Centennial’s Progress Campus.
With this in mind, Authorized Montel Distributor Out of the Box Associates Inc. proposed Montel’s customized compact storage systems to accommodate the library archives and special collections, along with unique library shelving that would blend with the architecture-interior design while supporting the collaborative spaces in the academic library.
DESCRIPTION DU PRODUIT
To address the current space storage collection needs along with new library design and functionality, the following Montel library storage and static shelving solution & product configurations were supplied:
- Mobilex® mechanical-assist carriage mounted high-density mobile storage units allowing to optimize space utilization and to improve organization for the library archives and special collections
- SmartShelf 4-post shelving units offering the flexibility and adaptability to change the shelving configurations for the actual and future storage needs
- Aetnastak cantilever fixed shelving units providing a large range of accessories and practical features
- Custom-built acoustic shelving end panels
- Powder coating finishing technology.