Montreal, QC, Canada
Concordia University Loyola Campus Vanier Library
Montel provides Concordia University Libraries with the best high-density space-saving storage solutions.
Concordia University, located in the vibrant and cosmopolitan city of Montreal, Quebec, is one of Canada's most innovative and diverse, comprehensive universities. Serving some 45,000 students of diverse origins and socio-economic backgrounds, Concordia University has two library locations: Webster Library located in the McConnell Building of the Sir George Williams Campus and Vanier Library on the Loyola Campus. Members of the Concordia community have access to over 3 million print and electronic books, 50,000 online journals, 125,000 government documents, 3,500 musical scores, 50,000 sound recordings, films, videos, and more.
Concordia University Libraries initiated a major space planning project with the objective to ascertain space needs for the next 10 to 15 years. They reached out to Authorized Montel Distributor Solutions de rangement Prisma to discuss specific project storage challenges and space planning strategies.
Maximizing storage capacity and improved space organization were critical considerations for Concordia University administrators and library staff. To address the challenges allowing a current estimated library collection capacity of 30,000-35,000 linear feet, new compact shelving units were proposed to nearly triple the existing available Vanier library space.
Innovative high-density mobile storage solutions were presented to increase the library storage capacity. For this public space library, emphasis was placed on the safety and user-friendliness compact shelving product features, as well as performance and durability.
In keeping with the overall library design criteria, Montel supplied and installed the following value-engineered state-of-the-art motorized mobile storage system & product configurations:
- SafeAisle® electric carriage mounted high-density mobile storage units.
- Patented Aisle LED Guard® Technology safety system covering the whole aisle surface prevents any carriage movement if the system detects users or objects anywhere in the open aisle.
- Low safety activation height system detects objects as small as 1½'' (38mm) high located anywhere in the aisle.
- Electronic overload protection & fail-safe technology.
- Aisle-entry people counter.
- Simple movement controls with LCD display including two arrow shaped OPEN backlit buttons, and a STOP backlit button.
- Remote system monitoring software provides PC-based diagnostic system for monitoring and configuring all mobile system’s safety, power, and functionality processes.
- PIN-Code module access control having a 32-character permanently backlit LCD display, and digits from 0 to 9.
- Automatic aisle reset - Upon confirmation there are no users or objects in the aisle, the module resets automatically and the LED-friendly backlit arrows on the control panel display a constant blue indicating the available aisle.